There are 27 bones in the hand and the wrist – and every nerve that travels to the hand crosses the wrist. Therefore, it’s understandable that this intricate area is very susceptible hand and wrist injuries, particularly since our hands are so crucial to functioning in our everyday life.
Hand and Wrist Injuries
We Exhaust All Non-surgical Options
Though surgery is required for some injuries, we have a wide variety of non-surgical options available to patients at OSMI. Splints, injections and individualized occupational hand therapy programs are frequently used in treatment by our hand specialists for the DFW area. When indicated, surgical procedures include correction of the acutely traumatized upper extremity (fracture and joint injuries, tendon lacerations, etc.), arthroscopic procedures on the wrist, reconstructive surgery for degenerative and rheumatoid arthritis (including joint replacement in the hand and wrist), nerve compressive syndromes and congenital hand deformities.
Our Fort Worth Hand Specialists at OSMI will work to ensure that you receive the exact treatment you need for your particular injury, and this treatment usually depends on the specific type of injury.
Though each case is different and individually diagnosed, the following is a list of common hand injuries and treatment:
- Trauma: Fractures, tendon injuries, joint injuries, internal and external fixation of the hand, wrist, vascular and nerve repair, soft tissue coverage of exposed bone/tendons including pedicle flap and microvascular free flap coverage.
- Reconstructive: Tendon transfers, Dupuytren’s contracture release, joint replacement of the hand and wrist, stabilization of arthritic joints, release of post-traumatic contracture of the hand and wrist.
- Nerve Compression: Open or arthroscopic carpal tunnel release, release of entrapped ulnar, median or radial nerves in the forearm or arm.
- Congenital: Correction of congenital deformities including syndactyly, locked digits, constriction band syndrome, absent digits, etc.
- Vascular: Repair of acutely injured vessels, repair of thrombosed vessels with vein grafts.
- Arthroscopy: Arthroscopic evaluation and treatment of the wrist.
- Tumors: Surgical treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the upper extremity including soft tissue and tumors of bone.
Better Experience = Better Recovery
As with all of our services at the Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Institute, we believe that the state-of-the-art care by our hand specialists in the DFW area, should be coupled with the highest quality customer care by our support staff. We believe that the better your treatment experience, the faster you will be able to get back to a pain-free lifestyle.
Hand & Wrist Disorders:
- Boutonnière Deformity
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Compartment Syndrome
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy)
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
- De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis
- Dupuytren’s Contracture
- Ganglion Cyst of the Wrist and Hand
- Kienböck’s Disease
- Mallet Finger
- Mucous Cyst
- Trigger Finger
- Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome of the Wrist
- Volar Retinacular Cyst
- Arthritis of the Hand, Thumb and Wrist
The Hand Therapy Center at the Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Institute (OSMI) in Fort Worth provides comprehensive hand physical therapy and rehabilitation services by our group of board-certified hand therapists (CHT) who treat a large variety of injuries and disabilities of the fingers, hand, arm and shoulder.
If you are ready to choose a team of hand, wrist and elbow orthopedic and sports medicine specialists that offer state-of-the-art treatment and highly personalized care, contact the OSMI office or call 817-529-1900 today!